What is 2-1-1 Alameda County and how does it work?

2-1-1 is a free, easy-to-remember phone number that is available 24 hours/day throughout the year that connects callers with health, housing and human services. When you dial 2-1-1, you will talk to a trained resource specialist who has access to Eden I&R’s comprehensive database information on health, housing and human service listings available in Alameda County. The information on Eden I&R’s databases includes but is not limited to assistance with: rent and utilities, food, emergency shelters, employment, medical (physical, mental and emotional health), transportation, and other critical needs. Information on services such as affordable child care, information about caring for an aging relative, or help recovering from a disaster is also available.

2-1-1 information and referral services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year. Information can be provided in over 300 different languages.
Back to Top

When is 2-1-1 available?

2-1-1 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week throughout the year.

If you are calling from outside of Alameda County, or have technical difficulties when dialing 2-1-1 from your cell phone, voice-over-IP, or office location, please see our help page, or dial the toll free alternate access number at 1-888-886-9660.
Back to Top

Who is eligible to call 2-1-1?

Any individual looking for information or assistance to identify the services best suited to meet his or her needs is eligible to call. Case managers, church leaders, employers, teachers or other agencies calling on behalf of their clients, members, employees or students are also welcome.
Back to Top

What is the difference between 2-1-1, 3-1-1, 4-1-1, 5-1-1, 7-1-1, 8-1-1, and 9-1-1?

2-1-1 Alameda is a free, easy-to-remember phone number connecting callers with health and housing and human services in Alameda County.

3-1-1 (where available) is city non-emergency police/utilities (i.e. downed trees in the roadway, escaped livestock, etc.) / things that need attention, but are not life or death emergencies.

4-1-1 is for Directory Assistance such as local and long-distance phone numbers, area codes, and addresses to businesses. This call will cost you a flat rate fee (depending on your service provider).

5-1-1 is a nationwide number used for traveler information and is promoted by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Intelligent Transport System initiative.

7-1-1 is for communication between TTY users and hearing persons. This service connects TTY users with non-TTY users.

8-1-1 is for utility customer service (call before you dig).

9-1-1 is reserved for emergency police, ambulance, poison, and fire.
Back to Top

When I call 2-1-1 who is answering the phone?

The Information and Referral services available through 2-1-1 are staffed by Community Resource Specialists (CRS) who are working towards or have received their endorsement as a Certified Information and Referral Specialist (CIRS) by the Alliance of Information and Referral Systems (AIRS). These CRS are trained to provide you with professional service according to the AIRS Standards. They are skilled at quickly searching through a comprehensive database to find the most accurate and appropriate referrals to meet your needs.
Back to Top

What are the advantages of 2-1-1?

Coordination: Following nationally accepted standards (www.airs.org) for the delivery of information and referral, a network of 2-1-1 Area Information Centers (or AICs) linked together to provide information about health and human service resources throughout Alameda County.

Timeliness: Callers get up-to-date information about both state and local community resources.

Individuals and their families save time and effort time by more effectively searching for and accessing a variety of health and human services.

Employers realize productivity gains as employees spend less time on or off-the-job seeking services.

Public and private providers capture savings resulting from reduced numbers of inappropriate referrals and misdirected calls.

Consistency: 2-1-1 Area Information Centers across the state follow nationally accepted professional standards for resource information management and delivery of service.
Back to Top

I am a service provider. What programs are eligible to be listed in the Alameda County 2-1-1?

Information about the following is included in Eden I&R’s databases or will be readily available by referral to an existing community resource:

  1. Community service organizations that offer a social service to the community at large
  2. Critical for-profit health and human service organizations
  3. Federal, State, County, and Municipal government offices
  4. Health and human service advocacy groups
  5. Health and human service professional organizations
  6. Health care providers
  7. Nonprofit health and human service agencies
  8. Self-help and mutual support groups
  9. Health and human service government agencies within Alameda County

Contact Eden I&R’s Info Management Department at 510-537-2710 for information on what programs are eligible to be listed in the agency’s databases and how to have your program(s) included.
Back to Top

How do I get outreach material to make available to our clients, members, or community?

Contact Eden I&R’s Outreach Team at info@edenir.org to get a list of materials currently available. These materials include flyers, brochures, magnets, pens, and post-it notes and are available at no cost.
Back to Top

How do I volunteer at Eden I&R?

Eden I&R is always looking for compassionate, committed and mature individuals to fill a number of volunteer positions handling administrative, research, phone, outreach and marketing tasks. For more information about volunteering, check out our volunteer information page, call 510-537-2710, or send an email to our volunteer coordinator at info@edenir.org.
Back to Top

How do I make a donation to Eden I&R?

Through your tax deductible donations, you can help support our ongoing community efforts including 2-1-1 Alameda County.

Thank you for your interest in making a tax-deductible donation to Eden I&R, Inc., a 501(c)(3) organization. Our Employer Identification Number (EIN) is 94-2339050.

You can get more information or donate online by clicking here
Back to Top

I have a question not answered above. How do I get answers?

Send an email to info@edenir.org
Back to Top